Elena Proves Her Mettle For A Medal

The 2017 AA has come to a conclusion and while our new All Around champion is once again an American, there was nothing predictable about this competition. And at the end of it all, a very enjoyable podium emerged. 




Things weren't off to a great start when Ragan Smith was injured moments before the competition began. Besides worrying after her health, it's extremely disconcerting for fellow gymnasts to witness. But the girls took to the vault and kept their eye on the prize, more so because another top contender was out of the running. Elena vaulted a safe yurchenko 1.5 and I do not believe she was credited an appropriate e-score for a terrific vault with great air form. Nonetheless, I knew a great bars routine would alleviate her 7th place position after the first rotation. As Lena would tell it, she was nervous and made a costly error on the chow 1/2, an error no one thought she could recover from but she actually performed stunningly on beam and scored the only 13 (after Alt) in the ENTIRE COMPETITION. I can't speak to the sincerity of the score because the beginning of her routine wasn't shown but what I did see was markedly better than her quals so I'm disappointed there was barely any differentiation (and at that, decline) in scoring. Her fx was the highlight of her day with every dance element completely rotated and the best triple twist she's ever done leaving the right impression on the judges. Her 13.6 was pleasantly surprising because I previously thought she would only get a 12 on fx, so seeing that she was capable of equaling stronger girls made me yearn for 'the bars that could've been.'

It was a nauseating wait after Mai Murakami performed to see if she would maintain a podium finish and I salute the judges who had to score that last routine because the audience reaction was wild but they managed to stay objective and that's a credit to the sport. Mai's acrobatics were phenomenal but her dance elements killed her dreams; she was not credited her gomez or her L-turn thanks to stricter ruling on the position of the stable foot when rotating. It was a bittersweet moment because Lena was rewarded for hitting each routine but Mai has missed so many podiums and this seemed the likeliest opportunity for an AA medal. A medal in the floor final, even the gold, seems realistic so her hopes are not at an end. But there's something special about the All Around, perhaps it's prestige, that calls to each gymnast and makes it the most meaningful accomplishment.



USA gets the benefit of the doubt at every competition and many great gymnasts have missed out on getting a medal of any color- if a medal at all- because of bias and favoritism, so I'm not willing to put my soul into ranting about Ellie Black's scores at a home World Championships. It's typical that American fans were upset about her bb and ub scores but ya know what? That's how China feels when Aly Raisman scores just six tenths lower than their World champion at the Olympics, it's how Japan felt when Nichols won a bronze with dirty form and staggered landings over clean-as-a-whistle Sae Miyawaki, it's what Italy felt when Biles won a medal after nearly hitting her head on the balance beam dismount. That feeling... when things aren't fair... it's frustrating, right? It's just ironic that, for once, I would've preferred karma not punish this particular American gymnast because she didn't come off the assembly line of robots. I'm happy with how the podium looks and think all three girls have charisma, and presence, and some artistry to their work. 

Morgan Hurd does deserve the title because she was the only one who performed without glaring errors. In principle, I hate when a podium includes a fall, and god knows it's happened to help Russia to a podium, but it means we didn't have the most compelling competition possible. I like this podium because they all could've done a little more, but in a final of falls, they stood out as the cleanest.

Favorite moments:
Paseka was a de-stresser and made Gelya smile throughout the meet. It worked for beam!
Gymternet is very happy with this podium.
Elena is the only competitor to score 13 or higher on every apparatus.
Her bars were so beautiful despite the chow 1/2. I really appreciate those handstands and inbars, girl.
The floor routines of the top 4 finishers were all well done and beautiful.
Lena improved seven tenths on floor.
This is the second time Lena's scored 13+ on beam and considering only one other person did that today I'd say her chances for a beam medal are higher than I dare to dream or anyone wants to admit.

Worst moments:
Lena missing bars obviously.
Angelina falling twice on floor (again).
Angelina's latest instagloom post (but lovely to see the international support). 
Thais Fidelis coming in last when she's capable of top 12.
Mai Murakami upset and miserable during the ceremony (and crying afterwards).
All the people who couldn't compete because of injury. It made for an exciting podium but what a price was paid for it.


Morgan Hurd: "This has been such a surreal experience. I was getting up at 6 a.m. to watch World's in China and I actually went to Glasgow in 2015. I can't believe it."

Ellie Black: "I think of what I got and that's enough. Gymnastics is like this, never thinking about what it would be, but just what it is and what it could be [in the future]."

Elena Eremina: "“It’s my first World Championships and I’m so excited to have won a medal. I had a mistake on bars. If I didn’t have this, I could have done better though.”

As ever, I'm amazed that Lena gives voice to her ambitions and doesn't make excuses for not meeting them. She wants more because she knows her worth. It's so refreshing, while the rest of the Team Russia so often speak of the odds being stacked against them. All I have left to say is not everything worked out, Lena, but your bronze is significant for so many reasons. Firstly, it's your first Worlds and you medalled. Secondly, the mistakes are frustrating but they prove that you had what it takes to be World champion. Thirdly, in the past we depended on Aliya for every AA medal, and so many talented Russians have tried what you did today and came away with nothing. Some of those girls gained no medal even without mistakes yet you are in your first season and five tenths shy of gold. Fourthly, there's more to gymnastics than medals and your fans love you because you present us with something beautiful to watch. The lightness in every movement and the steeliness of your resolve has everyone enraptured. We are so proud of what you've done today. You fought, you maintained calm, and you improved where you could. You are our champion every time.

The final results are here.
Below, I transcribed the press conference questions directed to Lena and an interview she did for those of you who don't pay for Flo Gymnastics.



Photo cred: the couch gymnast



PRESS CONFERENCE WITH THE MEDALISTS


How would you describe your experience so far at this World Championships?

It's my first world championships and I'm so excited that I have a medal. And...(confers with translator)...it's good.

Did you think it was possible to win a medal tonight?

Yes.

Why did you think it was possible to win a medal tonight?

I had a mistake on my bars, and if I didn't, I could do better.


FLO GYMNASTIC INTERVIEW



Talk about your competition and how you feel.

I feel so excited, it's amazing, it's my first medal in the world so... [smiles]... I have no words to say.

You said that your goal was to get a medal, and you did, so how does that make you feel?

So, it's amazing but I can be the first. I have a mistake in my bars but I'm third and I'm happy.

And coming into the competition what were you feeling? Were you nervous, were you excited?

Yes at the first vault I'm so nervous, and bars I was nervous, on beam I was calm and on the floor I was so happy and did what I can.

How did you stay calm when you wanted to do so well?

I say to myself that I could stay calm and I can do what I have [to do].

Did you know that Ragan had hurt herself before the competition? And what did you feel like going in?

I'm so sorry for her. It was on vault on her last routine in warm up so I'm so sorry for her. Let her get well.

Going toward event finals what are you looking forward to?

I will be on bars and beam and I hope I will have a medal.

You have the highest score on bars of all of the qualifications so what are you hoping for from that?

I'm hoping that I will be the first but if I will be in [podium] place I will be happy.

Comments

  1. I'm so happy for her! I have to admit I didn't really follow Russian gymnastics but discovering this blog and seeing Eremina's bar routine made me into a fan, praying now that she wins gold in the bars final!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. New fans, YAYYY!!! Welcome to the Russian fandom, my friend. This is the most difficult team to understand and the easiest team to love. Prepare yourself . Your heart will burst whether they win or lose. But you'll be devoted for life because rarely is it the hardware and laurels that brought you here. It's their gymnastics.

      Delete
    2. Don't worry I love mercurial talents like a Melnikova who only hits once per season also being totally honest, if anyone has the chance to stick one to the Americans consistently it's the Russians and that's another reason why I can't help but support them!

      Delete
  2. I am so happy for her and for Paseka who just won gold on vault! Sometimes its so hard to be a fan of Russian gymnastics because of their struggles. I can't get over the fact that Elena would be world champion if she hit her bars like she always does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ditto. One gold down, one to go. After quals my dream was that paseka win vault, iliankova win bars, and lena win all around. But now I need Lena to win bars and medal on beam. This would counter some of the evil permeating Montreal.

      Delete
  3. I like her, it's been a while since I liked a Russian Gymnast since Aliya so good on her. Sorry she didn't get the gold medal on the UB today.

    Angelina is going through a tough year. You know sometimes when you just want the year to end because it was so bad, I am sure she will be happy to see December 31st. She just needs to be calm and ride out this experience. It was a very thoughtful post she made on instagram about how she feels as well.

    The men were a lot more disappointing especially Nagory. Only David and Denis are doing well.

    BTW those medals are just big and ugly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What do you think of elena eremina on beam finals?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my humble opinion I think Elena did very well on beam despite not getting a medal. She doesn't have the difficulty but that will come with time I hope. I think she lost a lot of execution points on her triple twist dismount; hopefully she will get stronger and more confident. But what I like about Elena is that she didn't fall once! She did 10 routines at worlds and not a single fall. She's a fighter like Mustafina and Khorkina - they were so determined to win; I was happy to hear that Elena said she wanted a gold on beam. It will motivate her to fight harder.

      Delete

Post a Comment